From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-08-03 12:10:49

David Abrahams wrote:

> I don't know if anyone else is having trouble with this, but I can't
> keep track of the definitions of terms such as "stable" in this
> discussion, and I suspect several of the participants may be using the
> same terms to mean different things. Is there a glossary somewhere?
> If not, would someone (preferably Beman, who has been at the center of
> this effort from the beginning) put one on the wiki? And can I count
> on everyone else to use the same terms and make up a new one when they
> mean something different?
>
> Or am I the only one who's confused?

Oh no - this has been an on-going problem in this discussion.

personally I tried to stay away from "stable" because it doesn't capture
any meaning for me.

I prefer:

Release Branch (or Release Trunk). - branch into which libraries are
merged after individual testing. Ideally, this would be read-only except
for a release manager who merges in changes from a library which has
passed library tests.

Current Release - Release used as a basis for generating tarballs and such.
This is a tag placed on the the Release Branch.

Previous Release - tag on the Release branch for previous release.

Developement branch - development code for an individual library.

Library Tests. Tests for a library usually done on a Development Branch

Comprehensive Tests - Tests on ALL of boost - perhaps with a
proposed library included.

But these terms don't really map to the current system very well so
I think there is still opportuntity for confusion when trying to
compare and contrast the two approaches.

Robert Ramey