From: Phil Endecott (spam_from_boost_dev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-08-03 16:29:46

Michael Marcin wrote:
> I'd just like to mention again that I've had lots of subtle issues with
> externals and I think they should be discouraged or forbidden.
>
> Not the least of which is that if you are planning to move to a system
> that involves lots of merges, branching, and tagging all the externals
> must be branched and updated individually or they will point to the same
> unbranched location.

There is a contrib script called "svncopy" which does the same thing as
"svn copy", but with some extra flags for managing externals in the
appropriate ways for branching and tagging. It's not a great solution
but it is better than doing it manually.

> If the repository URL ever changes then all internal externals must be
> updated by hand.

I have been able to use svn-controlled symlinks rather than "internal
externals". But presumably this is not portable to Windows.

I suggest that externals should be considered a mechanism of last resort.

Phil.