From: Martin Wille (mw8329_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-08-04 01:55:26

Vladimir Prus wrote:
> Martin Wille wrote:
>
>> Vladimir Prus wrote:
>>

>>> What is going to happen? It sounds like you've omitted some part of
>>> your email.
>>
>> The message looks complete here.
>
> Let me clarify -- the message goes like this:
>
>> Now Joe User writes his app on the Fedora system and links Boost.DateTime
>> using the familiar -lboost_date_time switch. He builds the app and
>> tries it on both his Fedora system and the friend's Debian one. What is
>> going to happen?
>>
>> BTW, ....
>
> So either "What is going to happen?" is a question to recipients of the
> email (and I don't know what exactly is being asked), or Domenico meant
> do tell what is going to happen, but did not.

Oh, I see. I considered it a rethoric question: the application won't
work without recompiling because the (dynamically linked) Boost
libraries won't be found.

Of course, it wouldn't work even if those libraries were found on the
other system, because the libraries are not binary compatible.

There are at least two solutions for the OP:

1. embed Boost into your software. This seems to be a common practice.
Not desirable on embedded systems.

2. write a script that configures your software for the target system.
This isn't an extremely difficult, even without a boost-config script,
except, maybe, for finding the versions of libraries used by Boost
(Python, ICU, etc).

Regards,