From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-08-11 20:29:05

Robert Ramey <ramey <at> rrsd.com> writes:

> David Abrahams wrote:
> >> c) It seems to me that information regarding SVN access and boost
> >> customs and practices for using it to best advantage should be
> >> available form the main boost web page. Oh now I found it - its via
> >> a link titled Sandbox SVN. So I guess what I'm ask is for the main
> >> page to be tweaked so it's location is more obvious.
> >
> > Patches welcome
>
> OK - how would I go about doing that? check a change to the
> web site page on the trunk? I presume that woudn't migrate to
> the website until the next release. Or does "submitting a patch"
> mean something different?

It normally means post a patch (you know, a unified diff) in a Trac ticket and
assign it to the maintainer. However, there's no Boost website maintainer, and
since you have commit privileges, unless you really think your change is
controversial you should just follow the usual procedure:
http://www.boost.org/more/updating_the_website.html

> OK - that's just fine - but when I tried to create a branch off RC_1_34_0
> I got an error. Is the error to advise me I should have been using Verson
> 1.34.1
> rather than RC_1_34_0 or some other reason.
>
> Error: MKACTIVITY of
> '/svn/boost/!svn/act/7ac0dbeb-4f6d-0141-941c-1e06228e3d67': 403 Forbidden
> (http://svn.boost.org)
>
> Which I presume means I'm doing something unauthorized but it doesn't say
> what exactly.

I don't know what it is; if I were you I'd google for the error message.

> I searched through the SVN documentation for information about making Tags
> "readonly" to prevent
> someone accidently committing a change to a tagged version. I didn't find
> it but
> it seems that this functionality would be necessary. I'm still perusing the
> details.

I wouldn't waste time on that, as you don't have permission to change the
permissions on the Boost SVN.

> My intention is to create a branch off the latest release, check in and test
> my changes
> on this branch, and then merge them into the "trunk". If there's anything
> wrong
> with this procedure please let me know.

nothing wrong with it AFAICT.