From: manphiz (manphiz_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-08-15 03:19:38

Phil Endecott wrote:
> This stuff will all be much easier once we have variadic templates,
> i.e. you will be able to have a type-safe sprintf in C++. You can now
> get a version of gcc that supports them, and they should be in C++0x.
> So unless you have some very urgent reason to change immediately, I
> suggest that you wait for a bit.
>
> (I imagine that this means that the operator%-style Boost.Format will
> not progress towards the standard library, but I am not in any position
> to comment on that.)

Maybe the operator%-style can be obsolete (and I don't like it either)
in favor of variadic templates magic, but plain sprintf still cannot be
directly used to deal with std::string, is it? Is there any plan to let
sprintf adapt std::string or vice versa? So something similar can be
implemented for future migration to standard approach.