From: John Maddock (john_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-08-18 13:40:21

Douglas Gregor wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-08-18 at 17:14 +0200, Roland Schwarz wrote:
>>
>> Paul A Bristow wrote:
>>> Since we seem to be using this to generate pdf version at the end
>>> of the toolchain from Quickbook/Docbook thru XML to html and pdf
>>>
>>> XML to PDF by RenderX XEP XSL-FO Formatter, visit us at
>>> http://www.renderx.com/
>>
>> Hopefully boost will not rule out other ways of generating the docs.
>> I think vendor lock in is the last boost should be trapped into.
>
> XSL-FO is an open standard, and RenderX provides an implementation of
> that standard. We're always free to pick another vendor that
> implements
> the same standard but, frankly, RenderX does the best job of the tools
> I've seen.

Correct: and just to emphasise the point, the Open Source alternative -
Apache FOP - and XEP are command line compatible, so you can use either just
by altering the "using fop" line of your user-config.jam. Sadly Apache FOP
currently has so many problems that it's hard to recommend for anything but
simple usage requirements at present, hence the use of XEP for more complex
documents.

John.