From: John Maddock (john_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-08-19 12:33:53

Vladimir Prus wrote:
>>> Is there any option to quickbook/boostbook/docbook to specify
>>> search paths for images?
>>
>> Yes there is, it's the image.src.path option.
>>
>> I haven't tried it though, because the path specified in the
>> <xsl:param> Jamfile option requires a trailing / in the name,
>
> Truly weird interface, I would say.

None the less, all the Docbook XSL stylesheets when they accept a
path-prefix *require* that it terminate in a /.

>> In any case, how would we set a relative URL from what is currently
>> an "unmentionable" path where the pdf docs are built to the image
>> location? Or even an absolute path for that matter - is
>> $(BOOST_ROOT) generally available in a Jamfile these days?
>
> It is, as a quick look at $svn_trunk/Jamroot will reveal.

Ah, OK good.

>> I can only speak for myself here: but personally I really like where
>> the html is placed now, and I'd like pdf's etc to do the same.
>
> So, the requirement that user should be able to build boost from
> a readonly medium without copying is lifted?

The user doesn't need to build docs though: they already exist in the
distribution.

>> Frankly I'd be
>> pretty unhappy if the location changed, and coincidently, it would
>> break quite a bit of Boost's current docs.
>
> What's going to break, specifically? Note that even now, the doc
> location
> is different when building full boost docs, and when building docs
> for just a single library.

Yep, which is a real pain.

There are several recent libraries in SVN now that use quickbook, but put
there docs in libs/libname/doc/html rather than integrating into the central
doc/ build, which IMO is getting out of hand and doesn't scale to large
numbers of libraries. See regex, Bimap, um quickbook, and I'm sure others
for examples.

But all this is moot, if there is a way to put the output *wherever you want
it*, *and* there is a way to pass URL's to xsltproc without bjam helpfully
stipping off the trailing / :-)

John.