From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-08-22 09:24:11

on Wed Aug 22 2007, "Tom Brinkman" <reportbase-AT-gmail.com> wrote:

> No. I fear that this macro, along with the "FOR_EACH" macro, that
> boost developers are warming up to "macros" in general. We should
> stick to standard syntax, even if the standard syntax is verbose and
> ugly. Macros always come back to bite you. My no vote is sole
> based on my dislike of macros. Macros internal to a library are
> fine, but for a public interface, I'm not persuaded.

I disagree with that in just about every way; it seems like the worst
kind of FUD, and it's factually inaccurate to boot. Boost developers
in general have been warm to "macros" ever since BOOST_STATIC_ASSERT,
which was one of the very first public Boost library components. We
use macros *extensively* throughout many libraries, and, when
appropriate, in library interfaces. In nine years they haven't "come
back to bite us," and in many cases have shown themselves to be
superior to any available alternative.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting