From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-08-22 09:43:07

on Mon Aug 20 2007, Howard Hinnant <howard.hinnant-AT-gmail.com> wrote:

> Here is a link to a reference implementation and a FAQ for mutexes,
> locks and condition variables I am currently anticipating proposing
> for C++ standardization (or subsequent TR).
>
> http://home.twcny.rr.com/hinnant/cpp_extensions/concurrency_rationale.html

I find the fact that unique_lock can reference a mutex without owning
the mutex's lock rather confusing in light of the semantics of
unique_ptr. It seems like unique_lock is looking more like the
old-old auto_ptr.

And what does it mean to construct a unique_lock from a shared_lock?
How many owners are there if I copy a shared lock and construct a
unique_lock from the copy? Fundamentally I want to know what is
really "unique" about unique_lock.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting