From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-08-22 22:22:43

on Wed Aug 22 2007, "Tom Brinkman" <reportbase-AT-gmail.com> wrote:

>>> What can I learn from your criticism? What is it based on other than
>>> the fact that you don't like macros? By what standard shall we decide
>>> that use is "overuse?"
>
> I'm not shur that you can learn much from that criticism. Other
> than that I like to examine the libraries source code to help me
> learn about how it works. If the library is full of macros, or
> complicated templates for that matter, I often will just give up,
> and rely soley on the documentation.

Gosh, I wish you'd start with the documentation. I put a lot of
effort into it so my users will understand how to use the library.

>>> The macro generates all the boilerplate of forwarding
>>> functions, handles the "forwarding problem" for the user, evaluates
>>> defaults in exactly the lazy way one would like without requiring
>>> lambdas or other function objects, avoids exposing ArgumentPacks,
>
> I think that those are pretty creative uses of internal macros and I
> have no problems with those uses. I just hope that I'm never tasked
> with their maintenance.

Don't worry, I won't ask you to maintain them. But my point was that
they are *external* macros. They're invoked directly by the library
user.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting