From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-08-24 00:22:35

Its become clear to me that this is an important and way
non-trivial subject that I'm not going to get into the details of.

Sooo - here's what I'm going to do.

I'm going to make / use a very simple lightweight
singleton which has an interface similar or identical
to your proposal. I can modify all the places in
the serialization library which now implement this
functionality in an ad-hoc way so that they depend
on this single header. There are a number of such
cases - at last 7 !!. So this will make my code
more clear and shorter. It won't make the
serialization thread-safe however. But when
or if this ever gets sorted out, It will be trivial
to just change a few #includes and I'll done.

If anyone can't wait for a Boost threadsafe
singleton, they can substitute my trivial one
for one of their own choosing.

That is, I'm offloading this issue to anyone else

Robert Ramey