From: Gottlob Frege (gottlobfrege_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-08-24 01:00:39

> //svn.boost.org/svn/boost/
>
> trunk
>
> tags/
> releases/
> 1_34_1
> 1_35_0
>
> branches/
> release
> libs/
> python
> serialization

Assuming this is the latest proposal, maybe an outside opinion of an
idiot user (ie me) might help? P.S. I'm NOT a SVN user (Perforce for
me, thanks).

Without reading Beman's doc (and outside users probably won't) nor
most of these emails, this is my first impression:

- 'tags/releases' is where past releases are - excellent

- 'branches' is where unstable development is happening (but really, I
cheated - I read the emails to determine that for sure - because
'branches' can also mean released items, like a fork of boost or
something like that, or maybe someday boost 2.0 (only supports C++0x)
is released and boost 1.40 (old code base) is also released - these
would be two 'branches' of boost)

- trunk or branches/release is where the 'latest stable but not yet
released boost' (ie the one I might experiment with to see what's
coming) lives. Which is it? ie which is the 'release_candidate'?

Basically, I'd like words like
- 'released' (note the 'd')
- 'in_progress'
- 'release_candidate'

or similar. But maybe that's just because I don't use SVN.

And sorry to bring naming back up as a topic. Feel free to move on to
other things (ie just get started), but I always find a 'first
impression' is worthwhile (and only comes once).

Tony