From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-08-26 10:37:48

on Fri Aug 24 2007, Rene Rivera <grafikrobot-AT-gmail.com> wrote:

> Robert Ramey wrote:
>> Gottlob Frege wrote:
>>> So what is trunk for?
>>
>> LOL - we've come full circle. Actually, I do see a use for the trunk.
>
> As describe at
> <http://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/wiki/ImprovingPractices#Trunk>:
>
> * Trunk - The main development and test location.
>
>> Basically
>> it would be for those who don't want to do developement on a branch.
>
> The default would be to develop on the trunk, but anyone is free to
> develop on a branch.

I hope not. I want to have an "avoid breakage on the trunk" policy.
In other words, before you mix your code "in public" with the rest of
our recent development, it should have been tested (at least by
someone) in context against the rest of the trunk. Otherwise, we
could easily end up with multi-library problems/incompatibilities on
the trunk, at which point it becomes the whole community's problem. I
really want individual library authors to be responsible for the clean
state of the trunk, and that means checking in all your
partially-completed and/or untested work on a branch.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting