From: Gottlob Frege (gottlobfrege_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-08-26 23:48:24

On 8/26/07, David Abrahams <dave_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> on Fri Aug 24 2007, Rene Rivera <grafikrobot-AT-gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Robert Ramey wrote:
> >>
> >> LOL - we've come full circle. Actually, I do see a use for the trunk.
> >
> > As describe at
> > <http://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/wiki/ImprovingPractices#Trunk>:
> >
> > * Trunk - The main development and test location.
> >
> >> Basically
> >> it would be for those who don't want to do developement on a branch.
> >
> > The default would be to develop on the trunk, but anyone is free to
> > develop on a branch.
>
> I hope not. I want to have an "avoid breakage on the trunk" policy.
> In other words, before you mix your code "in public" with the rest of
> our recent development, it should have been tested (at least by
> someone) in context against the rest of the trunk. Otherwise, we
> could easily end up with multi-library problems/incompatibilities on
> the trunk, at which point it becomes the whole community's problem. I
> really want individual library authors to be responsible for the clean
> state of the trunk, and that means checking in all your
> partially-completed and/or untested work on a branch.

I'm still confused - are you saying that a developer works like this:

- codes in branch
- merges some code branch -> trunk
- merges trunk -> branch/release (or whatever it is called)

why not skip trunk?
what is the difference between code in trunk and release?

P.S. I guess I'm assuming they merge release -> branch before
checking in to branch. (So they know they're new code is compatible
with release). Or is that what trunk is for, somehow?

Tony