From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-08-27 10:14:57

on Sun Aug 26 2007, "Gottlob Frege" <gottlobfrege-AT-gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm still confused - are you saying that a developer works like this:
>
> - codes in branch
> - merges some code branch -> trunk

Yes.

> - merges trunk -> branch/release (or whatever it is called)

Usually not. That would be the release manager's job.

> why not skip trunk?
> what is the difference between code in trunk and release?

When the release manager tags a release candidate, that becomes
"release" and more code can be merged to trunk.

If this sounds a lot like what we do today, it's because I don't see a
problem with it ;-)

> P.S. I guess I'm assuming they merge release -> branch before
> checking in to branch. (So they know they're new code is compatible
> with release). Or is that what trunk is for, somehow?

If you've been on a branch for a while, merge trunk -> branch and test
locally before merging branch -> trunk, so the chance of new
developments breaking the build when you merge to trunk is minimized.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting