From: Howard Hinnant (howard.hinnant_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-08-27 14:57:57

I'm trying to summarize the renaming suggestions so they do not get
lost. Here's my current list:

The format is:

current name
------------
suggestion 1
suggestion 2

unique_lock<Mutex>
------------------
exclusive_lock<Mutex>
The boost name is Mutex::scoped_lock

unique_lock<Mutex>::owns()
--------------------------
owned()
owns_lock()
held()
holds_lock()
The boost name is locked()

try_to_lock
-----------
immediate
The boost name is true

defer_lock
----------
deferred
Boost doesn't have this functionality

accept_ownership
----------------
prelocked
Boost doesn't have this functionality

Have I missed any "renaming" suggestions?

Comments pro or con on any of the above?

My current feeling is that exclusive_lock has strong support, and I
have no problem with that one myself.

I'm not quite sure which of the owns() substitutes is the current
front runner (holds_lock?). My only concern with this decision is
that the name we choose should clearly not be ambiguous with
"referencing a mutex". And the name should also not be ambiguous with
asking if the mutex is locked (it may be locked by another thread).

"try_lock" or "trylock" is a well known term. I fear "immediate" is
not a good substitute as it does not imply to me that a "try_lock" is
going to be performed. The existing "try_to_lock" is a compromise to
avoid conflicts with a namespace-scope try_lock function. "try" would
be nice, but is a keyword.

I have no opinion on the last two (defer_lock, accept_ownership).

-Howard