From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-08-27 15:29:19

on Mon Aug 27 2007, Howard Hinnant <howard.hinnant-AT-gmail.com> wrote:

> unique_lock<Mutex>
> ------------------
> exclusive_lock<Mutex>
> The boost name is Mutex::scoped_lock

I have no problem with unique_lock now, and I don't think
exclusive_lock adds anything of value.

> unique_lock<Mutex>::owns()
> --------------------------
> owned()

-1. It's the mutex that's owned

> owns_lock()

-1. Does a shared_lock "own" a lock on the mutex?

> held()

-1. It's the Mutex that's held.

> holds_lock()

-1. Cumbersome. And a lock holds a lock? Ugh.

> The boost name is locked()

-1 You gave the reasons why not. Too many "locks" running around
also; it will make code hard to talk about.

I think acquired() might be best. IMO nothing will be truly
satisfying because of the grammatical ambiguities (there's the lock
object which owns a lock on the mutex) and because the analogy to the
real-life thing called a lock is incomplete.

> try_to_lock
> -----------
> immediate
> The boost name is true

+1 for immediate in principle, though it might not be an identifier we
want to reserve in std.

> defer_lock
> ----------
> deferred