From: John Torjo (john.groups_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-11-01 05:52:40

> But the most important thing here is that it is flexible (you can create
> your own appenders, formatters, etc and register them with the system and
> they will act as if they were built in) and FAST. Plus it is configurable

It certainly is extensible - quite a lot ;)
> with boost::property_tree (which makes it easier for end-users to use).
>
> Anyway, my code might be worth a look - but coming back to my initial question
> have you done speed benchmarks? Or thought about not using streams?

I haven't done speed benchmarks yet, but as a side-note, I want to
create a class that will benchmark how long the app spends doing logging.
Also, if you turn "compile fast" mode off, you'll avoid one virtual call.

About using streams - this is really your call. It's all about gathering
your data:
http://torjo.com/log2/doc/html/workflow.html
http://torjo.com/log2/doc/html/workflow.html#workflow_2a

So gathering can happen using streams, or you can choose your own Log
Syntax, avoiding streams.

Note that logging can also become way faster if you do it on a dedicated
thread (on_dedicated_thread.hpp class).
I haven't yet tested this, but it's gonna be way faster than doing
logging on the thread the message is logged. Basically, the only thing
that happens in the current thread is gathering the message. Writing it
(formatting it and then writing it to the destination(s)) will happen on
the other thread.
Thus, any destination you might have - can automatically become
asynchronous as well ;) )

(note : your appenders = my destinations)

I'd be curious to see how my lib benchmarks against what solution your
company took ;)

Best,
John