From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-11-01 09:53:11

David Abrahams wrote:
> on Wed Oct 31 2007, Beman Dawes <bdawes-AT-acm.org> wrote:
>
>> Marshall Clow wrote:
>>> Personally, I'd like to see all the submitted patches "dealt with" for 1.35.
>>> Either apply them or reject them. [ There are about 50 outstanding patches ]
>> Patches seem a particularly high priority to me, too.
>>
>> I've reproduced the latest patch report from Marshall so we can all see
>> who the guilty parties are:-)
>>
>> Developers, now is a great time to clear your outstanding patches!
>
> IMO, promising patches that are merely new features that haven't been
> in testing for some time should be assigned to the 1.36.0 milestone
> rather than "cleared" by either integrating them or rejecting them.

Yep. I was assuming patches were bug fixes, which may not be the case.

> Patches should only be a high priority if they fix bugs... and in that
> case they should come with a test that breaks until the bug is fixed.

It is very useful and a sign of good software engineering if a test case
accompanies a bug fix. But patch submitters don't always have enough
time or knowledge of a library's test setup to submit test cases. I'd
rather fixes be prioritized based on severity rather than whether or not
they come with a test case.

--Beman