From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-12-01 12:36:06

on Sat Dec 01 2007, Markus Schöpflin <markus.schoepflin-AT-web.de> wrote:

> Boris Gubenko schrieb:
>
>> HP-UX_ia64_aCC is all green on the trunk except Interprocess library
>> is marked as not supported.
>
> [...]
>
> There is an acc test failure in the dynamic bitset library (affecting
> all 64 bit platforms, AFAICT), which only doesn't show up because it's
> marked as 'has been failing in the last release'.
>
> To make matters worse, this failure wasn't even present in the last
> release, so the markup is plain wrong. (It's probably from the version
> before, or something like that.)
>
> I think this highlights a problem in the way we're doing the markup for
> the known failures. If one test fails and is marked up accordingly for
> the release, there is no procedure that once this failure is fixed, the
> markup is removed.

I've been concerned about that for a long time.

In my view, every bit of markup should have an attribute that says to
which Boost major release it applies, and when testing for a new
release, markup for older major releases should be ignored.

So for example, you might see

        <test name="dyn_bitset_unit_tests1">
            <mark-failure boost_version="1.34">
                <toolset name="msvc-6.5_stlport4"/>
                <note author="Gennaro Prota" refid="37" />
            </mark-failure>
        </test>

By "major" I mean the difference between 1.34.x and 1.35.x, so
developers would not have to update markup just for bugfix releases.

Note also that I think the markup is going to have to be broken up
into separate files by library pretty soon, but that is a different
topic.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting