From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-12-04 13:20:26

David Abrahams wrote:
> on Fri Nov 23 2007, "Robert Ramey" <ramey-AT-rrsd.com> wrote:

> I know it doesn't help right now, but I hope to co-manage the next
> release, and if that happens I will follow a procedure that will keep
> the trunk and the release branch much more closely synchronized. That
> should make it practical for you to keep your development branch much
> more closely synchronized with the trunk.

working the way I'm currently working has worked well for me.

My branch is derived from 1.34.1. This has meant that I've been able
to develope in an environment where all other variables other than
the ones I explicitly introduce are stable. This is an imense
improvement from the way I used to do it. It has resulted in some
divirgence. But a lot of that is due to the fact that the changes
I've been making are somewhat more ambitious than previous
ones.

Although I think my current version is more robust and complete
than that on the trunk, introducing even one small error or
inconsistency on one platform slows the release down by a week
as things get sorted out.

Also we do have a smal number of issues with the serialization
library in the trunk. But things are made much simpler by the
fact they're not mixed in with my current set. When these
issues in the trunk are resolved, I'll merge them into my branch
then merge the branch back to the trunk. Except for
figuring out how to do the actual merge, I believe that this will
result in a measurably higher quality product. Based in this
experience and a better understanding of SVN, I expect to
tweak my procedure for next time. Hopefully this will
reduce the pain even further.

Robert Ramey