From: Dean Michael Berris (mikhailberis_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-12-09 21:37:46

Hi Jeff!

On Dec 10, 2007 10:32 AM, Jeff Garland <jeff_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Michael Dickey wrote:
> >
> > So.. I decided to throw all this out there and see what people think.
> > Should Boost have its own HTTP library, or should it be part of an
> > more comprehensive network protocol library?
>
> Yes, it should have an HTTP library -- it would be nice if there were other
> protocols, but not essential.

I have the same feeling, but then other protocols are becoming
increasingly more and more important as the web matures -- XMPP is
lurking to be the next generation IM/Messaging protocol, (E)SMTP is
not going away for Email anytime soon, and FTP is still very popular.
Maybe having a torrent client library might not be essential, though
if there's enough interest then it may just be the next generation
fail-safe P2P storage protocol -- or I might be dreaming too much. ;)

> > Would it be better have
> > something available sooner in Boost that works and is reliable, and
> > try to resolve the overlap over time as cpp-netlib matures? Or, would
> > it be better to wait and try to merge my library (or at least it's
> > functionality) into cpp-netlib?
>
> I think we need a first protocol library to lay the groundwork. Reviews and
> interactions may lead to a set of standards for handling these sorts of
> libraries. If http lib is closer to ready then I'd say take it thru the
> process as that might influence the design of cpp-netlib. Of course, you can
> take into account what the netlib folks are doing as well. I'd hope that
> somehow we could avoid redoing the http work...

I agree.

If Mike already has an HTTP client library we can retro-fit to work
with the cpp-netlib basic_message<> implementation, then I think we
don't have to re-invent the wheel as far as an HTTP client
implementation goes -- and cpp-netlib 1.0 might just be around the
corner once we document it properly and get it tested up to Boost
standards.

Looking forward to hearing everyone's thoughts about this.

Have a good day everyone!

--
Dean Michael C. Berris
Software Engineer, Friendster, Inc.