From: Michael Dickey (mike_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-12-10 16:31:02

On Dec 10, 2007, at 1:00 PM, Andrey Tcherepanov wrote:

>> What do you think?
> [snip]
>
> (assuming that "what you think was directed to all of us, not just
> Dean
> :), so below is my $0.02 CAD)

Of course, otherwise I wouldn't be filling you INBOX with all these
messages =)

> I like the idea of basic_message<> (which could be used for SMTP and
> gods
> know what else as well), but what about UDP servers or, generally
> speaking, multi-transport protocols?
>
> Although http is sitting on top of TCP, there is an RTSP protocol
> which
> claims to be derived from HTTP/1.1 in most parts (well, at least RFC
> has
> lots of backrefs to HTTP spec), but allows to use connectionless
> transport
> (aka UDP). Moreover, RTSP treats Clients as something that can receive
> asynchronous stream change notifications (if allowed). I am not
> arguing
> that your design will not cover 95% of useful cases, but I think
> protocol
> parsing and transport layer might need more separation. This way if
> brave
> person will decide to implement RTSP (for example) as derived from
> HTTP,
> he/she will not be limited by TCP transport.

In the current Pion code, the parsing & transport are handled
independently. I've never heard of HTTP being used on top of
something other than TCP. But I think we could probably accommodate
for this by slightly altering the tcp_server / http_server class
hierarchy.

Take care,
-Mike