From: Andreas Harnack (ah.boost.04_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-12-10 16:31:21

Larry Evans schrieb:
> On 12/07/07 19:14, Larry Evans wrote:
>> On 12/07/07 11:05, Larry Evans wrote:
>> [snip]

Hi Larry,

I'm sorry it took some time for me to answer, but I'm sure you
know what a deadline is. :-) Anyway, thanks a lot for all your
efforts; I'm afraid, however, I don't quite know what you're
aiming at. As I understand you want to extend the concept of the
matrix as a two dimensional array to that of a multi dimensional
array, assuming that they follow the same principles? That
sounds interesting, though I'm not sure that's sensible. I'm
aiming at simplicity. A matrix is a very simple mathematical
concept that can be useful in many situations, yet there's no
data type supporting it adequately (whatever that means) in C++;
All that's available (well, actually it's quite a lot) are
fully-fledged libraries that apparently all are aiming to high
level scientific computing. Tensors seem even more advanced to me.

I do plan indeed to add a more template parameters, first and
foremost to allow to specify special matrix forms, like diagonal
matrices, which have some special properties, that might be
interesting to the user. Different storage models might
interesting too.

I'm not yet sure how deal with variable sized matrices (or
rather whether to deal with them at all). They certainly will be
important for some people, but would come at the price to give
up compile time size checking.

Andreas