From: Jens Seidel (jensseidel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-12-11 02:42:53

On Mon, Dec 10, 2007 at 08:19:26PM -0800, Jeremy Bruestle wrote:
> Hello, I have implemented support for the beta distribution for
> boost::random. I was wondering who I should send it to for examination and
> possible acceptance into boost? The method is based on the paper
> "Generating Beta Variates with Nonintegral Shape Parameters" (
> http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=359460.359482) by R. C. H. Cheng,
> which was the best performing fully general purpose method I could find. It

Mmh, the article contains:

General permission to make fair use in teaching or research of
all or part of this material is granted to individual readers and to
nonprofit libraries acting for them provided that A C M ' s copyright
notice is given and that reference is made to the publication, to its
date of issue, and to the fact that reprinting privileges were granted
by permission of the Association for Computing Machinery.

Implementing an algorithm from the article is "fair use". But is Boost
a nonprofit library? Consider that it can be used (also in parts) in
commercial products!

Jens