From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-12-17 13:04:29

on Mon Dec 17 2007, Andrew Sutton <asutton-AT-cs.kent.edu> wrote:

>>> Wouldn't it be better to change the location, so that people who
>>> couldn't come last time because it was very far could come this time?
>>> For example, have the conference in Europe or something.
>>>
>> That also makes it very far for people who did come last time :)
>
> I'm a big fan of Paris :)

Look at it this way: with the dollar as weak as it is, even a "very
far" trip to the US is still very affordable.

It would be wonderful if someone were to put on a EuroBoostCon. I
would definitely make the trip (despite the prohibitive exchange
rate). One of the main issues with planning such a conference,
though, is that you need someone "on the ground" who can scout out
facilities, establish relationships, etc. I am "very far" from Paris,
so that guy isn't me ;-)

> A couple of questions:
>
> 1) Is there a (reduced) student rate for admission? IEEE/ACM
> sponsored conferences generally cut a couple hundred off the cost of
> attending for student members of either organization.

Not yet, but then we haven't fixed rates for the conference yet.

> 2) Does the conference (or its sponsors) plan to offer any
> compensation for students, either attending or presenting? I'm
> interested in attending, but I think I've used all my travel funding
> for the year - at a conference in Paris.

Presenters will definitely be given free admission, and we do intend
to compensate presenters although I don't know what those numbers will
be like yet.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting