From: Martin Bonner (Martin.Bonner_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-12-18 04:26:06

From: Andreas Harnack

> If you think that this doesn't belong to the standard, then
> please allow me to ask one question: Why is there a complex
> number class in the standard and what does it actually do?

There is rather less discussion about possible interfaces for complex
numbers than for matrices. (The last time I used matrices in my code, I
wanted A=B*C to mean A[i,j] = B[i,j]*C[i,j].)

I would be quite happy if there was no std::complex.

[snip]
> And yet, the class is there, it's in the standard and
> it is useful. (Well, at least it doesn't hurt.)

NOT SO! Having std::complex /does/ hurt me. It takes implementation
and testing effort away from bits of the library that I use.

> All I'm trying to propose is to do the same thing with a
> two-dimensional array, about the second primitive data structure
> one could think of.

Well, I think that what you are trying to do is mistaken; HOWEVER, you
are most certainly going about it the right way. Propose an interface
(with reference implementation) for boost; get it reviewed by boosters;
have people get some real-world experience with it; /then/ write up a
paper proposing it for the next TR.

It's very possible that I am completely mistaken, and there is a simple
interface that a large number of people would find useful. This is the
way to find out.

--
Martin Bonner
Senior Software Engineer/Team Leader