From: Sebastian Redl (sebastian.redl_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-04-07 13:20:56

Graham wrote:
> As requested, I have posted a Unicode character support library in the
> boost vault as Unicode_lib.zip.
>
> Please feel free to use this under the boost license.
>
> It would be great if somebody had the time to develop the existing
> character support to ad the string wrappers that we had intended to -
> but ran out of time doing.
>
> It should be well documented, but if you want any questions answered,
> please feel free to ask and I'll try and help!

I finally got around to taking a good look at it. It is my understanding
that the library consists essentially of two parts:
1) codecvt facets for UTF8, 16 and 32 and char_traits for codepoint,
along with appropriate fstream typedefs.
2) An interface for getting the properties of a unicode codepoint, and
implementations for some of the Unicode algorithms.

This is very impressive, but unfortunately, codecvt is simply not rich
enough to build a string class based on it that actually stores the
characters in encoded form.

Am I correct in this?

Sebastian