From: Lance.Diduck_at_[hidden]
Date: 2008-04-28 16:03:24

>i would be curious, if some people might want to work together in order
to implement a boost-style lockfree >library ...
Yes I would be interested.
I have some (unliscensed) code, but I can make that available on a case
by case basis for now. If you want a look plz let me know.

Our versions have basically the same stuff, however I note these
differences:
1. Yours seems to be more hardware-portable (in that it accounts for
PIC, Apple, and such)
2. Yours seems to issue a few more explicit barriers.
3. You have better branch prediction logic
4. you have better methods of reducing false sharing

Mine has these:
1. the FIFO free list allocator can also be used in STL containers
2. a LIFO
3. the "tagged_ptr" is broken out, such that you could make intrusive
containers out of it (a la boost::interprocess)
4. There are hooks to eventually make fancy pointers work with
"tagged_ptr" (I had offset_ptr in mind, from boost::interprocess)
5. I have a "linear ptr" essentially a lockfree shared_ptr.
6. Mine compiles on MSVC as well as GCC
7. I have some unit tests. Nothing like they should be, but it's a
start.

Lance