From: vicente.botet (vicente.botet_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-05-21 17:04:15

----- Original Message -----
From: "Beman Dawes" <bdawes_at_[hidden]>
Sent: Wednesday, May 21, 2008 10:18 PM
Subject: [boost] Release schedule?

> At the BoostCon '08 "Future of Boost" session there was discussion of
> release schedules, and we took a straw poll. Thanks to Hartmut Kaiser
> for recording the outcome:
>
> â—‹ How often do we want to have Boost releases?
> § 4 weeks: 0
> § 6 weeks: 0
> § 8 weeks: 10 votes
> § 12 weeks: 25 votes
> § 16 weeks or longer: 6 votes
>
> Since 12 weeks was already the target we had discussed on the list, that
> seems pretty well decided as our target.
>
> Dave Abrahams suggested that specific target dates be assigned; that
> makes the targets more specific and easier to plan around. I suggest the
> last day of the first month of each quarter:
>
> * January 31
> * April 30
> * July 31
> * October 31
>
> The last day is chosen rather than the first day, because January 1st
> comes after a holiday period in which it is hard to get anything done.
>
> So working backwards from the target date, T, what are the key
> milestones, and the time to perform the tasks involved?
>

> * Ship release / update web sites
> * Release candidate(s) - 7 days
> * Beta release(s) - 14 days
> * Freeze release except for showstoppers - 7 days
> * Freeze release except for bug fixes - 14 days
> * Release open for bug fixes, major library upgrades,
> and new libraries - As soon as prior release is done.
>
> In other words, the three month cycle looks like this:
>
> |-------6 weeks--------|--2 weeks--|-1 wk-|--2 weeks--|-1 wk-|
> | | | | | |
> | new libs, | fixes | show | beta(s) |
> RC's |
> | upgrades, | | stop-| | |
> | fixes | | pers | | |
> The times alloted to each activity are fairly arbitrary - we would
> adjust as we build experience.
>
> Comments?

Hello,

If I have undesrood, next release *could* be on 31 july.
Which will its containt?
* The new libraries that have been make an explicit their intention and are
ready to be on the release 6 weeks before, i.e. 19 juin;
    Why not start already a request for new libraries inclusion, we have
just a month?
    What does it means "have been make explicit their intention and are
ready to", could be subjet to interpretation of the release manager, but an
explicit request will be welcom.
* the upgrades done 3 weeks before, i.e. the 10 july.
* the critical fixes up to the 31 july (Of course the release manager will
be impled on which fgixes are critical and which one can be done for the
next release.

These seams quite good to me.

Note that
* nothing critical should be included after 10 July.
* libraries not ready before 10 juin should be posponed to the next
releasean so rejected for includsion from the 1.36 release

This was just some precision on the dates and the contents view from my
desk.

Have a good 1.36 release!
Vicente Juan Botet Escriba