From: Rene Rivera (grafikrobot_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-06-29 17:08:57

Daryle Walker wrote:
> Here's an idea on how we can manage our source-control for releases:
>
> 1. When we're ready to start a new release, make a branch from the
> trunk with a name like release_1_??_x (e.g. "release_1_37_x")

Why? What do we gain from having the release branch tagged with the
version? Why branch from trunk? And there are various drawbacks, some of
which where raised the last time we discussed this:

* It means testing process needs to change to switch to a new branch at
the start of each release. This is currently a *manual* activity which
needs coordination from many people.

* It makes it harder to track changes across releases since we have to
backtrack through copies of loosely related source trees.

* It makes it harder to stabilize the code for release since the trunk
will have many more unstable changes. This is the *key* reason we
switched from basing releases on trunk. And without this change a
release every 3 months is impossible.

> 2. Finalize what needs to be done to make that branch ship-worthy
> 3. Make a tag from that branch with a name like release_1_??_0 (e.g.
> "release_1_37_0")
> 4. Export that tag to a fresh directory and create the appropriate
> archive file to upload to SourceForge, etc. (The directory shouldn't
> have any source-control debris in it. Maybe this needs to be done once
> on each platform to ensure the best archive format and the proper
> line-ending markers.)

We already do that.

> 5. If bug-fixes for that release need to be done, continue to use the
> release_1_??_x branch (and merge the fixes back to the trunk, or vice
> versa)

If a bug fix release is needed a branch can be created from the
release_x_yy_z tag at any time. And it can follow the usual merge of
patches and release procedures. Once that patch release is tagged and
released the corresponding branch can be deleted, and the next patch for
that release can start again from the appropriate tag.

--
-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything