From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-07-02 11:10:16

Jens Seidel wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 01, 2008 at 01:57:15PM -0400, Beman Dawes wrote:
>> We need to decide what our standard is first. ISO-9660:1999 limits:
>
>> Do we also want to drop the "File names shall not have more than one
>> dot" and/or "Directory names shall not use dots at all" requirements?
>>
>> Have we have ever had a complaint about multiple dots in file or
>> directory names?
>
> Isn't it standard these days to enable both Rock Ridge (Unix) and Joliet
> (Windows) extensions for ISO-9660? Both extent the list of valid
> filenames (and length of a filename).

I think the answer is probably "yes" for most systems. The concern is
really the less common systems, like OpenMVS.

I think we should allow hyphens in names, drop the above dot
requirements, and allow underscores (but not hyphens) as the first
character of names. But I'd like to give others a chance to comment
before going ahead.

--Beman