From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-07-08 09:50:26

Beman Dawes wrote:
> Matthias Troyer wrote:
>> On Jul 8, 2008, at 3:30 AM, Beman Dawes wrote:
>>
>>> Below is a list of libraries whose header files appear to differ
>>> between the trunk and branches/release.
>>

>>> mpi
>>
>> Hi Beman,
>>
>> I've done a diff on every single file and see no difference. Can you
>> tell me which file is the problem?
>
> It's a false alarm.
>
> The script is looking at the file size, and assuming the contents are
> different if the size is different. For these files:
>
> boost/mpi/detail/mpi_datatype_primitive.hpp different size
> boost/mpi/detail/packed_oprimitive.hpp different size
>
> The size is different (and I've used several ways to look at the sizes)
> even though contents are the same.
>
> I'll track down what is happening and fix the script to avoid the
> problem in the future.

Ha! Those two files differ at the binary level. The one in
branches/release has lines terminated with 0x0d 0x0a, while the one in
trunk is all 0x0a terminations. I suspect the same confusion would occur
if a file with tabs was converted to no tabs.

That's an odd situation. Should the script detect those situations and
do the merge itself?

--Beman