From: Graham (Graham_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-08-26 15:35:45

>Message: 8
>Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 12:49:36 +0200
>From: Martin Lutken <mlu_at_[hidden]>
>Subject: Re: [boost] UTF-8 conversion etc. upper,lower case converting
>To: boost_at_[hidden]
>
>On Monday 07 April 2008 19:20:56 Sebastian Redl wrote:
>> Graham wrote:
>> As requested, I have posted a Unicode character support library in
the
>> boost vault as Unicode_lib.zip.
>>
>> Please feel free to use this under the boost license.
>>
>> It would be great if somebody had the time to develop the existing
>> character support to ad the string wrappers that we had intended to -
>> but ran out of time doing.
>>
>> It should be well documented, but if you want any questions answered,
>> please feel free to ask and I'll try and help!
>
>I have been looking at your work. Would it be usefull for converting
>upper,lower case for non ASCII charaters ?
>

>I have been trying to use those functions in :
><boost/algorithm/string.hpp>
>But they don't seem to work for my utf-8 strings. I tried with
different
>locales, but that doesn help. Seems I need a locale that defines all
the
>facets for converting between UTF-8 upper- and lowercase characters.
>I was thinking, perhaps you library could be used for that somehow ?
>
>-Regards Martin L

Martin,

The standard upper to lower case conversion makes huge assumptions and
is very Western character set targeted. For example ... many people and
many simple functions assume that converting a character from upper to
lower case will give you the same size of character [or same length of
string] which is simply not true.

The Unicode library I posted has full support for Unicode upper to lower
and lower to upper case conversion and these features are easy to use.

Yours,

Graham