Subject: [boost] Support for Cell processor
From: Joel Falcou (joel.falcou_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-10-13 13:14:39

Several boost libraries compile without any problem on the cell BE
processor in PPU and SPU mode like most of the preprocessor or
meta-programming one.

However, it's impossible to use any C++ code that include *any* part of
std cause it makes the resulting binary too big for the spu linker.
For some boost libraries, the std include is merely used for some
optionnal display. For others, large parts of functionnalities is made
useless.

As I've been toying with this architecture for quite a bit now, I'm on
the verge to patch my local boost with a way to detect compilation on
Cell SPU and to remove inadequate include from some libraries.

Considering the potential interest in supporting this architecture,
would libraries developpers mind if I submit ticket with patches for
this support integration when the actual pacthes is aimed at making the
core of the libraries to be used on Cell BE SPU and to add things like
#error or #warning that explicitely states that this library or features
is disabled ? What's the current stance on adding new architectural
support into boost ?

Regards

Joel Falcou - Assistant Professor
PARALL Team - LRI - Universite Paris Sud XI
Tel : (+33)1 69 15 66 35