Subject: [boost] proposal interval container; ITL moved to the boost sandbox
From: Joachim Faulhaber (afojgo_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-11-05 09:14:08

Dear boosters,

after completion of a lot of boostification work I moved
my Interval Template Library to the boost sandbox in the
boost project centric form:
https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/browser/sandbox/itl

itl
  boost
    itl
    [itl_xt]
    [validate]
  libs
    itl
    [itl_xt]
    [validate]

I have split up the original library into three parts:
(1) itl, (2) itl_xt and (3) validate.

Core part 1 'ITL' contains all interval container class
templates. Only this part will be prepared for a formal
submission.

Part 2 'itl_xt' contains extended parts of the original
library that do not belong to the core interval container
data structures and might be proposed for later extensions.

Part 3 'validate' contains the sources for the law based test
automaton 'LaBatea' that has been used for an automated
check of the ITLs correctness.

Parts 2 and 3 do not yet conform boost standards and naming
conventions and are not yet intended as contributions to boost.

On the core ITL-part I have done the following:

+ Removed all virtual functions via introduction of mixins
+ Integrated deeper into boost libraries replacing own code
  by e.g. boost::type_traits and boost::mpl
+ Minimized the class template interfaces by
  transforming member functions into non member function
  templates.
+ Made interval containers more interoperable by overloading
  operators and global function templates.
+ Wrote a test suite using boost unit test tools. Tested for
  boost-instance types boost::date_time and boost::rational
+ Provided jamfiles to build and run examples and tests.
+ All examples and tests have been compiled, linked and run
  successfully with msvc_9.0 and gcc_3.4.4(cygwin).

Next I am going to write boost style html-documentation.

>From the boost web page I don't see a clear recommendation for
a preferable way of doing that. Handcoded? Generated with
BoostBook? Is there a reference library that has an exemplary
standard documentation?

Cheers
Joachim