Subject: Re: [boost] [lexical_cast] A suggestion (attn. Alex Nasonov)
From: Vladimir.Batov_at_[hidden]
Date: 2009-02-08 21:54:16

> David Abrahams wrote:
> > on Sun Feb 08 2009, Vladimir.Batov-AT-wrsa.com.au wrote:
> >
> >> Now I get the feeling that people are suggesting/implying we should
> >> leave lexical_cast behind as an interesting-but-not-quite-successful
> >> experiment (which I somewhat agree with) and start fresh free of its
> >> shackles.
> >
> > That's just my opinion. And of course, I could be wrong ;-)
> >

> As someone who originally supported Vladimir's original suggestion, I
> would say that I agree with the idea of a fresh start.

I understand. However, I feel uneasy about the easy we are planning to
brush lexical_cast off. That must be very disheartening for Kevlin (the
author) and Alex (Nasonov, the maintainer). Primarily for Alex as I feel
he's been putting quite an effort into it lately. Even though I *might* be
leaning towards a fresh start from the technical point of view, it does
not feel right morally. Even from purely technical point of view I feel
Alex'd be best qualified to make the move as I feel it'll be largely
lexical_cast implementation (at least initially) under a
different/better/stricter interface.

Alex, are you there? How do feel about it? Could you do it? As you can see
your effort won't be in vain and already there is quite a support for your
effort. I really want you to spearhead the effort.

V.