Subject: Re: [boost] [lexical_cast] A suggestion (attn. Alex Nasonov)
From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-02-08 23:01:30

on Sun Feb 08 2009, Vladimir.Batov-AT-wrsa.com.au wrote:

>> David Abrahams wrote:

>> > That's just my opinion. And of course, I could be wrong ;-)
>> >

>> As someone who originally supported Vladimir's original suggestion, I
>> would say that I agree with the idea of a fresh start.
>
> I understand. However, I feel uneasy about the easy we are planning to
> brush lexical_cast off. That must be very disheartening for Kevlin (the
> author) and Alex (Nasonov, the maintainer). Primarily for Alex as I feel
> he's been putting quite an effort into it lately.

I'm not suggesting it be "brushed off," I'm just saying that whatever
it's intended to be, it isn't the tool that the many people who want
nothrow this-or-that are asking for. I don't believe any good can come
from an outraged user community trying to get the author and maintainer
to make it into something they don't believe it should be.

lexical_cast should remain consistent with the vision of its author and
maintainer. If many people need something else, they should have it.
Then lexical_cast can gain or lose users on its own merits.

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing