Subject: Re: [boost] [fusion] adding infinite sequences to fusion
From: Stjepan Rajko (stjepan.rajko_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-05-09 21:17:17

No response to previous mail, so trying again :-) The overview of the
situation is:

* Fusion currently does not support infinite sequences
* Having infinite sequences would be useful
* We are discussing how to revamp Fusion concepts to allow for
infinite sequences.

Take for a motivating example an undocumented fusion view called
repetitive_view, which results in an infinite repetition of an
underlying sequence. Here is how it can be used to easily construct
all elements of a sequence with the same argument:

using namespace boost::fusion;

// a Sequence containg 1
vector<int> one(1);
// a quasi-Sequence containing infinitely many ones
repetitive_view<vector<int> > all_ones(one);

// now if we want to initialize any Sequence using all 1s:
vector<int, float, double> s(all_ones);

// and it works
BOOST_CHECK_EQUAL(at_c<0>(s), 1);
BOOST_CHECK_EQUAL(at_c<1>(s), 1.0f);
BOOST_CHECK_EQUAL(at_c<2>(s), 1.0);

I have encountered scenarios where I needed to construct each element
of a Sequence using the same argument, and the above method is much
nicer than anything else I tried. The problem is that repetitive_view
doesn't result in a valid Sequence per current Fusion concepts (that
is why it isn't documented).

In an effort to fix the problem, there's been some off-list discussion
between Dan Marsden, Joel de Guzman and myself on how to address
infinite sequences in Fusion concepts. Joel suggested to bring the
discussion back to the list for more feedback. Below is the latest
proposal for revamped Fusion concepts, and some responses by Joel and
myself.

If anyone is at all interested in infinite fusion sequences, please comment.

On Sat, Apr 18, 2009 at 4:53 PM, Stjepan Rajko <stjepan.rajko_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 15, 2009 at 6:21 PM, Joel de Guzman <djowel_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> Stjepan Rajko wrote:
>>>
>>> Here is a list and description of all of the concepts that might be
>>> relevant:
>>>

>>> Forward Sequence
>>> begin(s) - returns a Forward Iterator
>>> empty(s) - returns a bool