Subject: Re: [boost] trunk vs release
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-05-21 12:45:19

This discussion demonstrates what's wrong with the current testing of the
trunk.

Here is the way it should be done.

For each library that is changed, the library version on the trunk should be
tested against
the release branch. In practice this would work something like the
following:

On the tester's machine start out with a current image of the release
branch.
    For each library A
        switch library A's directories to the trunk
        run tests
        Restore image to release

This would

a) attribute failures to their proper source
b) prevent testing of each library (A) with provisional (trunk) code
c) guarentee that when changes are merged into the release no new failures
occur.
d) reduce testing time since a small expermental change in one library in
the trunk
wouldn't provoke rebuild and test of all its dependents.

On my own machine, I have a release branch and I've switched the
serialization
library directories to the trunk. I can verify that all the above mentioned
benefits are in fact realized. Boost testing would benefit greatly from
adopting the same strategy.

Robert Ramey