Subject: Re: [boost] boost::directx?
From: Artyom (artyomtnk_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-06-07 08:17:27

Hi,

> The hard reality is that a lot of people use C++ and
> DirectX. A lot of
> people use C++ *because* they use DirectX. Another group
> use DirectX because
> they use C++.

It is very good to have a good C++ library for DirectX/Direct3D...
But it **does not** belong to Boost that is cross platform project.
Project that helps writing good software without vendor lock-in.

You can just create another library that may be tightly integrated
with Boost. But it does not have place in Boost, like many other good
C++ libraries that have no place in Boost.

> That audience not only includes but primarily consists of
> game developers.
> And they all use DirectX.

You wrong. I can give you a list of great games that use OpenGL like:

- IL-2
- Quake
- Unreal Tournament
- World of Warcraft

And many others. Actually, any game that supports Mac OS X or other
OSs uses OpenGL. The fact that most of games developed for MS Windows
under MS Windows does not means that all of games use Direct3D.

So... You can't claim that directX is only video gaming API, not
talking about that not everything is video games, actually
in Scientific and research project OpenGL has clear dominance.

Best,
  Artyom