Subject: Re: [boost] The C++ Post-Processor
From: Thomas Klimpel (Thomas.Klimpel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-10-18 10:06:23

Christian Schladetsch wrote:
> Sure, but I am wondering openly about an effort based on Boost.Wave that can
> provide a C++ environment created from a C++ environment. Such an effort
> could be used to test ideas far better than the current 'standard' 5-20 year
> turn-around could. And we shouldn't need to rely on a closed company.
>
> C++ could make C++ quite easily, especially if using a tool like ANTLR. But
> whatever the means, it is a sad state that C++ doesn't have a C++
> interpreter or a C++ runtime. Perhaps the work done on Boost.Wave could be
> used to make it.

I actually mentioned edg, because they emphasize that parsing C++ is really nontrivial. So I thought that reading your answer to this suggestion might be fun. If I had to think about a realistic option to make your wish come true, I should probably more go into the direction of LLVM and its clang front-end.

Regards,
Thomas