Subject: [boost] New boost packaging suggestion for windows
From: Julian Bangert (jbangert_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-10-28 11:34:50

Hello,

yesterday I tried to download the boostpro binaries for windows and I
had to download over a gigabyte to get all configurations for VS 2008.
Sadly the version also was outdated and in general not that great ( e.g.
Installer quite bad to handle and you have to register to download ) .
So I decided to build from source and package it for a few friends who
also needed these binaries. I managed to compress boost_1_40 ( no source
except headers, no python AFAIK , but everything else you get with a
standard build ) from over 900MB down to 37MB by using 7z.
I uploaded it here https://obliviononline.com/pub/boost/boost_1_40_0.7z .
Should boost use this form of releasing binaries in the future for
windows ? Alternatively, you could endorse this form, like boostpro is
endorsed right now and I could host it on google code, etc .
An easy to set up ( just unzip this file ) binary distribution would
make compiling boost-dependent software much easier.
I would be willing to distribute future releases compatible with VS 2005
and 2008 in this form.

Yours, Julian Bangert

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4551 (20091028) __________

http://www.eset.com