Subject: Re: [boost] The problems with Boost development
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-03-22 00:23:31

David Abrahams wrote:
> Meet me at BoostCon!
>

> On Mar 21, 2010, at 12:27 PM, "Robert Ramey" <ramey_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
>> Also, I'm would like to remind anyone interested that it's
>> very easy to run tests for one library at a time on your own system
>> by invoking library_test.sh (or bat) from the library's test
>> directory
>
> What does that script add to a simple invocation of bjam with no
> arguments, which does the same?

It IS the same - except that creates an easily viewable html table
which has all the tests and all the platforms and all the build
combinations (debug/release, static/dynamic build, etc). Also
all test failures are linked to another page which shows the
test/build failures.

I'm feeling I'm missing something really dumb as I can't figure
out how other authors run all the tests in their particular libraries
prior to checking in or how users verify that any particular
library works in their environment without some sort of tool
such as this. Maybe they just do them by hand one by one?
Or maybe they're just adding to their app without running the
tests? Or? It's a mystery to me.

OT - I know I've complained about bjam - but for me - along with
this table generator it has worked well for me.

Robert Ramey