Subject: Re: [boost] Guidelines on wiki
From: Daniel James (dnljms_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-03-25 16:25:24

Sorry about the very slow reply.

> Robert Ramey:
>>
>> It's a little unclear whether this kind of stuff should be in the wiki
>> or the regular website. I find the website hard to update and often
>> hard to navigate. So I like the wiki. But then, I'm a tiny bit concerned
>> that given the ease of editing the wiki, it might tend to expand
>> "all over the place".

Hopefully people with subversion access will be disciplined. But I
think you're right, it should be someone's responsibility to oversee
the wiki and keep things ordered. I think this page demonstrates that:

https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/wiki/Guidelines/MaintenanceGuidelines

>> Thinking about about, I think the former is a better model as I
>> believe it will better model boost itself in the future. So you might
>> want to expand your horizons a little to consider how the wiki
>> might include a lot more of the information which is currently on
>> the web site.

Yes, I plan to move more content there.

> Paul A. Bristow:
>
> Editing is *much* easier - by anyone - but also vulnerable to instability and
> hacking?

Hopefully not, since it's password protected.

> Can we copy a snapshot of the wiki to the (definitely read-only) Boost site with
> every release?

My original plan was to just use the wiki, but I think you might
right. By using snapshots, viewing the page will be faster and it'll
allow people to freely edit the wiki pages. The workflow would be
something like: edit the page, ask on the list for a review, if
accepted the website manager imports the snapshot. Sounds okay?

> I've not found Google's indexing to work too well with my questions (often when
> I know that the answer is there somewhere).
>
> Searching the wiki pages is faster and often more effective (because you've
> narrowed the searchable stuff - assuming you have the right 'page').

If all the pages are under the same subdirectory we can limit the search e.g.

http://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Awww.boost.org/development+integral

Daniel