Boost logo

Boost :

Subject: Re: [boost] Transfer of Maintenance Rights
From: Christian Holmquist (c.holmquist_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-03-25 16:30:35

On 25 March 2010 13:26, Stewart, Robert <Robert.Stewart_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Nevin Liber wrote:
> > On 25 March 2010 07:14, Stewart, Robert
> > <Robert.Stewart_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> > > If you find that you can no longer fulfill your
> > > responsibilities as maintainer of a library, you are
> > > responsible to advertise this to the Boost community. If you
> > > are the sole maintainer, you are responsible to find a replacement.
> >
> > I don't see why we need this. If the author has already abandoned the
> > library, I just don't see them suddenly coming back and spending
> > energy to find their replacement.
>
> That part is addressed to maintainers that haven't actually abandoned their
> library yet but know they must do so.

Which libraries are in the state of no maintainer and how serious are their
bug lists at this moment?

I follow the boost lists on an every day basis, both for personal interest,
and because I maintain, patch and upgrade the boost package in our
production code base (it's a good way to find issues that I might need to be
aware of). I have not had any problems with abandoned libraries, and we use
about half of the amount of libs listed (
http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_42_0/libs/libraries.htm).

I think a summary of abandoned libs would be good start. Or is there one
already?

Boost list run by bdawes at acm.org, david.abrahams at rcn.com, gregod at cs.rpi.edu, cpdaniel at pacbell.net, john at johnmaddock.co.uk