Subject: Re: [boost] Guidelines on wiki
From: vicente.botet (vicente.botet_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-03-28 14:57:08

----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul A. Bristow" <pbristow_at_[hidden]>
To: <boost_at_[hidden]>
Sent: Friday, March 26, 2010 5:03 PM

You are right. These guidelines concerns more how the user can avoid breaking his code when boost evolves, and what s/he can do to improve regression tests.

>> also don't understand why there are 'developer guidelines' and
>> 'booster guidelines' (what's the difference?).

Please, note that these guidelines have not been reviewed.
I used the word 'developer' for authors or maintainers. The 'boosters' intendeed any member of the Boost community that can check that the released code follows the maintenance guidelines.

>> In the contents, 'Managing Warnings from Compilers' looks like a small
>> subsection, but is actually half the document. It should probably be
>> moved into a 'how to deal with warnings' article (not under
>> guidelines), with a shorter, more general guideline on this page that
>> would link to the article.
>
> Agreed - It has just 'growded like Topsy':
>
> it needs an editor, guided by feedback, to keep it in some short of shape.
>
> (But that should not stop others making changes - still a wiki).
>
> Most people are polite enough to say "I've amplified/changed/deleted the section on ... - is this OK"?

Paul, would you like to take care of separating the Managing Warnings from Compilers section?

Best,
Vicente