Subject: Re: [boost] GSoC 2010: Heaps and Queues
From: Andrew Sutton (andrew.n.sutton_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-04-09 09:48:43

> Honestly, I think iterator behavior is the only place where that is even an
> issue. The other functions are well-defined for any heap model and
> shouldn't be any trouble.
>
> That said, without a unified concept, this project loses most, if not it's
> entire, purpose. The concept is almost as important to making the library
> useful as having the heaps themselves.

As the author of the original project idea, I am going to disagree with you
:)

Developing concepts is not a top-down process, nor is it a "chicken and the
egg" problem. One way to look at concepts is that they describe common
features of related kinds of types, although there is a much more precise
way of saying this. How do you know the commonalities of heaps and/or queues
if you haven't implemented any?

It's always possible to guess, but why spend the time? The project is to
implement data structures, not describe them.

Andrew Sutton
andrew.n.sutton_at_[hidden]