Subject: Re: [boost] [GSoC] Helping out Phoenix v3
From: Eric Niebler (eric_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-05-03 20:05:03

On 4/29/2010 10:41 PM, Thomas Heller wrote:
> On Thursday 29 April 2010 19:54:03 Eric Niebler wrote:
>> I've uploaded a simplified and cleaner version of this prototype here:
>>
>> https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/attachment/wiki/BoostPhoenix3/miniphoenix2.cpp
>>
>> It requires proto on boost trunk. At some point, I'll need to add to
>> proto a hook to make it simpler to customize the terminal capture behavior.
>
> Thanks for the update.
> I will have to examine it more closely. On first sight it looks very clean.
> What i miss is the easy extentability. Do you have an idea for that?
> I am currently working on getting Joel Falcous more phoenix like. After that,
> i think i will want to merge your two approaches.
> What do you think?

Sorry for the delayed response. Extensibility is the strength of this
phoenix design. Notice that it takes only about 80 lines of code to
implement the core of phoenix. Even the placeholders are implemented as
non-invasive extensions of this core. It's an open question whether it's
desirable to hide the proto bits when exposing these customization
points, and if so, what that would look like.

--
Eric Niebler
BoostPro Computing