Subject: Re: [boost] [GSoC] Helping out Phoenix v3
From: Thomas Heller (thom.heller_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-05-04 01:20:09

On Tuesday 04 May 2010 02:05:03 Eric Niebler wrote:
> On 4/29/2010 10:41 PM, Thomas Heller wrote:
> > On Thursday 29 April 2010 19:54:03 Eric Niebler wrote:
> >> I've uploaded a simplified and cleaner version of this prototype here:
> >>
> >> https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/attachment/wiki/BoostPhoenix3/miniphoen
> >> ix2.cpp
> >>
> >> It requires proto on boost trunk. At some point, I'll need to add to
> >> proto a hook to make it simpler to customize the terminal capture
> >> behavior.
> >
> > Thanks for the update.
> > I will have to examine it more closely. On first sight it looks very
> > clean. What i miss is the easy extentability. Do you have an idea for
> > that? I am currently working on getting Joel Falcous more phoenix like.
> > After that, i think i will want to merge your two approaches.
> > What do you think?
>
> Sorry for the delayed response. Extensibility is the strength of this
> phoenix design. Notice that it takes only about 80 lines of code to
> implement the core of phoenix. Even the placeholders are implemented as
> non-invasive extensions of this core. It's an open question whether it's
> desirable to hide the proto bits when exposing these customization
> points, and if so, what that would look like.

After playing a little bit with your prototype I saw exactly what you mean.
Plus, the question wether to hide proto details completly (if that is even
possible) is quite complicated. After seeing your work I think we should not
aim for that. I tried to combine the two different approaches and what i
realised was, that most stuff was handled automatically by proto already.